Friday, April 9, 2010

Classical Music Recollections

I am starting this blog today to provoke interest, commentary and education among fellow music lovers.

Today's topic will include some of my memorable, and some not so memorable performances. I welcome your commentary and reactions.

First introduction to classical music: listening to opera on LP's in my grandmother's house in rural upstate New York.

First introduction to opers: I went to old MET with my grandmother when I was 13 years old (Il Trovatore and stayed with her at Edison Hotel.

Memorable performances (good & bad):

  • Leonard Bernstein's last conducting performance at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass.
  • Terrible performance by Van Cliburn at Tanglewood in which he lsot his place in the Emperor Concerto (My daughter commented that her piano teacher said ...just play the right hand)
  • All Beethoven concert at Muskaverin in Vienna in which conductor, Christian Thielman was given 3 standing ovations after orchestra left stage.
  • Meeting Alfred Brendel backstage at BSO after a fabulous concert
  • Meeting Anna Netrebko after La Traviata in San Francisco 2009.
  • Attending a concert with Anna Netrebko, Elina Garanca and Erwin Schrott in Abu Dhabi
  • Recital by Cecilia Bartoli at Carnegie Hall
  • Attending concert at Marlboro in which it rained so hard on metal roof of gymnasium that performers could not her themselves
  • Attending a lecture at Sanders theter at Harvard with Alfred Brendel in which he dissected parts of Beethoven's piano sonatas with exquisite playing and commentary

My wife and I both love classical music and especially opera. I have become very passionate about my likes and dislikes on various performers and would like to share some of these with you for discussion.

Like List:

  1. Anna Netrebko
  2. Elina Garanca
  3. Diana Damrau
  4. Joseph Calleja
  5. Rene Pape
  6. Dmitri Hvorostovsky
  7. Piotr Beczala
  8. Cecilia Bartoli
  9. Kathleen Kim
  10. Sumi Jo

Don't care for List:

  1. Maria Guleghina
  2. Ewa Podles
  3. Kate Lindsey
  4. Bryn Terfel
  5. Renee Fleming
  6. Jennifer Larmore
  7. Marlis Peterson

Recollections of classical music from my youth:

Hearing Brahms 1st symphony at my orthodontist office in Middletown, NY

Recommendations for your CD/DVD collection

  1. In The Still of the Night - Netrebko-Barenboim
  2. Traviata Netrebko-Villazon Salzburg
  3. Gergiev "The Right of Spring" by Stravinsky
  4. Netrebko Russian Album
  5. Coloratura - Diana Damrau
  6. Gergiev Tschaikovsky Symphonies 4-6
  7. Mahler Symphonies - Leonard Bernstein
  8. Glenn Gould 32 Short Films
  9. Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations
  10. La Cenerentola with Elina Garanca

I welcolm your commentary and ramblings. This blog is devoted to you and for you to enjoy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Haimes:
    Welcome to the opera blog world.
    I absolutely share # 1,2,4 and 6 in your Like List and #5 in your Don't Care List. After I saw her first live, she was in my Like List, but her second recital made me mentally transfer her to the Don't Care List.
    Looking forward to your future posts and opera reviews.

    ReplyDelete